For the second year in row, the nominees for the Academy Award’s four main acting categories are all white.
#OscarsSoWhite has taken the media by storm. With films like “Creed” and “Straight Outta Compton” garnering huge success in the box office, critics don’t understand the oversight of black actors for Academy Award nominations.
Actress Jada Pinkett Smith and filmmaker Spike Lee are among notable names that say they will not be attending this year’s Oscars.
Lee said in an interview with CNN that the real problem in Hollywood lies with the “executive offices of the Hollywood studios and tv and cable networks.”
Numerous CMU students, who did not want to be filmed, agreed with Lee saying the problem is arising from a lack of diversity within the people picking the nominees.
Chris Rock hosts this years Academy Awards which air February 28 at 7 pm.
This year’s acting nominees:
- Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
- Matt Damon, The Martian
- Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
- Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
- Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
- Cate Blanchett, Carol
- Brie Larson, Room
- Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
- Charolette Rampling, 45 Years
- Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
Best Supporting Actor
- Christian Bale, The Big Short
- Tom Hardy, The Revenant
- Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
- Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
- Sylvester Stallone, Creed
Best Supporting Actress
- Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
- Rooney Mara, Carol
- Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
- Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
- Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs
Nick Green and Brandon Craigie contributed to this video.