Podcast: What You Should Know for Dec. 2

16820153696_fb60a5fd20_zCMU Insider has started a new format for “What You Should Know.” In addition to telling you what’s happening on our campus, state and nation, we have added a world, science/technology and business section. There is also a podcast version.

An Isabella County man suspected of pointing a gun at his girlfriend and threatening to kill her last week was arrested in Alma late Monday afternoon after officers from at least four departments surrounded a home.
More from the Morning Sun:

Monday’s incident in Alma stems from a woman who called authorities last Tuesday saying her boyfriend had pointed a long gun at her and threatened to kill her in the 900 block of Vandecar Road, just south of Jordan Road and northwest of Mt. Pleasant.
She escaped to a nearby neighbor’s house to call police.
Officials said late Monday afternoon their investigation led them to the Alma home, where the suspect, said to be in his early 40s, knew another occupant.
“A lead led the sheriff’s department to the house on Holiday and, because of the gun involved in the assault, Alma police are using an abundance of caution and called the state police emergency services team,” one officer said.
Besides Alma police and Isabella sheriff’s officials, who had obtained a search warrant, Gratiot sheriff’s officials and a Michigan State Police emergency services team were also on the scene.
The home is on Holiday Street on the south side of Alma.
Police initially thought last week the man was headed to Shepherd, where he had several relatives – including a son and brother – and spent several hours into the evening last Tuesday looking for him.
Officials considered the man armed and dangerous and said he had an officer safety caution and outstanding arrest warrants from both Isabella and Midland counties.
Attempts to find him last week failed, with relatives saying they had not seen him and attempts to ping his cell phone unsuccessful.

 

An ex-36th District Court clerk and a man were charged Monday with forgery after they allegedly took about $20,000 in bribes to dismiss more than $40,000 in traffic tickets and fines.
More from the Detroit Free Press:

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette announced felony forgery charges Tuesday for 56-year-old Annette Bates and 44-year-old Charles Fair, a longtime acquaintance of Bates.
Not guilty pleas were entered on their behalf Monday. Court records don’t list lawyers for them.
Bates and Fair are each charged with two counts of felony forgery after a joint investigation between the attorney general’s office and the FBI’s Public Corruption Task Force revealed that over a two-year period the pair forged the dismissal of $40,000 in traffic tickets in the name of a 36th District Court judge, who was unaware of the scheme.
In exchange for the dismissal, Bates and Fair took about $20,000 in bribes. According to the attorney general’s office, the requests were funneled from Fair to Bates who would then dismiss the tickets from the record.
“Individuals with a blatant disregard for the law must realize there are consequences,” Schuette said in a statement. “Stealing from Detroit’s traffic citation funds is stealing from not just the City coffers, but stealing from those who are working hard to continue turning Detroit around.”

Chicago’s police chief was ousted on Tuesday following days of unrest over video footage showing the shooting of a black teenager and the filing of murder charges against a white police officer in the young man’s death.
More from Reuters:

Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who had stood by Superintendent Garry McCarthy, announced during a news conference he had asked McCarthy to resign. The mayor said he was creating a new police accountability task force.
The announcements came a week after the officer, Jason Van Dyke, was charged with first-degree murder in the killing of Laquan McDonald, who was shot 16 times. A video of the killing was released on the same day.
High-profile killings of black men at the hands of mainly white law enforcement officials in U.S. cities over the past two years have prompted demonstrations across the country, and have stoked a national debate on race relations and police tactics.
“The shooting of Laquan McDonald requires more than just words,” Emanuel said in a statement earlier on Tuesday.
“It requires that we act; that we take more concrete steps to prevent such abuses in the future, secure the safety and the rights of all Chicagoans, and build stronger bonds of trust between our police and the communities they’re sworn to serve.”
Emanuel, McCarthy and Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez have faced criticism for taking 13 months to release a video of the 2014 shooting and to charge Van Dyke.
The video shows Van Dyke gunning down McDonald, 17, in the middle of a street on Oct. 20, 2014, as McDonald was walking away from police who had confronted him. Van Dyke, 37, was released from jail on Monday after posting bond on a $1.5 million bail.
Protests followed the charging and arrest of Van Dyke and the release of the video on Nov. 24. In a protest on Monday, the president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Cornell William Brooks, was one of several protesters arrested, the organization said.

The NATO allies decided on Tuesday to hold alliance troop levels in Afghanistan steady at about 12,000 next year and launched a campaign to fund the 350,000 Afghan forces it hopes can some day secure the country against Taliban militants.
More from Reuters:

Fourteen years after the United States first sent troops to Afghanistan, NATO governments have doubts about the ability of its army and police to defend against Taliban fighters, who briefly took over the northern city of Kunduz in September.
As a result, the 28-member Western alliance is abandoning plans to slash its troop levels by the end of this year.
“We are in Afghanistan to prevent that Afghanistan again becomes a safe haven for international terrorists … that is also in our security interest to make sure that that doesn’t happen,” NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said at a meeting of NATO foreign ministers.
Excluding U.S. counter-terrorism forces, NATO will have about 12,000 troops in Afghanistan for most of next year, made up of about 7,000 U.S. forces and 5,000 from the rest of NATO and its partners such as non-NATO member Georgia.
At Tuesday’s meeting, allies also launched a campaign to raise about $3 billion euros to help pay for Afghanistan’s state security forces from 2018.
The Afghan security forces budget, funded by the United States and its NATO allies, is agreed up to the end of 2017. NATO wants to announce further funding for the 2018-2020 period at its next leaders summit in July.

Volkswagen AG’s billionaire owners are set to break their silence on Wednesday, more than two months after the carmaker’s admission to cheating on emissions tests, in a bid for workers’ support as the company seeks a path out of the scandal.
More from Bloomberg:

Wolfgang Porsche, chairman of family-owned majority shareholder Porsche Automobil Holding SE, will address thousands of workers in hall 11 of Volkswagen’s huge factory in Wolfsburg, Germany. He’ll be flanked at the 9:30 a.m. staff meeting by the other three supervisory board members who represent the reclusive clan: Louise Kiesling, Hans-Michel Piech and Ferdinand Oliver Porsche.
The Porsche-Piech family has been asked by labor leaders to signal their commitment to workers, now facing two weeks of forced leave during the Christmas holidays as the crisis begins to affect sales. Labor chief Bernd Osterloh, who has pushed to shield workers by focusing cutbacks on Volkswagen’s model portfolio, will host the assembly. It comes amid mixed news for Volkswagen: though the company has made progress toward a simpler-than-expected recall of 8.5 million rigged diesel cars in Europe, plummeting U.S. sales show the impact of the crisis on the showroom floor.
“The owner families have been very discreet so far amid this unprecedented crisis for the company,” said Yasmina Serghini, a Paris-based analyst for Moody’s. The meeting will show where the family stands with the labor force, she said, “an important indicator for the company’s plan to accelerate reforms and improve cost efficiency.”

People living in countries like Germany where ID cards and passports contain RFID microchips are worried that the chips are being used to spy on them.
More from International Business Times:

Talk about paranoid – netizens who are concerned about their privacy are finding ways to deliberately disable the RFID microchip within their bank cards, ID cards and passports to prevent governments from spying on them, including illegally destroying them.
Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chips are electronic chips that come with an antenna that is able to send and receive information remotely. The chips can also be used to store important personal information and biometric data about citizens for easy authentication and they are becoming popular with government immigration departments in Europe.
Today RFID chips are put into passports, public transport swipe cards, contactless bank debit and credit cards, cars, pets, humans and are even used in multifunction identification wristbands at Disneyland.
The issue first came to light in August when a 29-year-old German man was arrested at Frankfurt Airport after authorities discovered that he had deliberately put his German ID card in a microwave it in order to disable the microchip inside it.
The man was still allowed to get on his flight using a replacement card issued by the Federal Police, according to the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung daily newspaper, but was facing investigation for altering official documents and told he could face either a fine or imprisonment.
But the idea of destroying a government-mandated ID card for privacy reasons is now garnering huge interest on the internet, with hobbyists posting various ways to block RFID in credit cards, ID cards and passports.
One of the ways, known as the “German method”, is to destroy the ID card by putting it into the microwave for 10 seconds until the card is set alight in the machine. If taken out of the microwave as soon as you see sparks, the card is still intact, but the microchip is rendered useless and is no longer able to function.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s