CMU Insider has started a new format for “What You Should Know.” In addition to telling you what’s happening on our campus, state and nation, we have added a world, science/technology and business section. There is also a podcast version.
A Mount Pleasant man who was severely burned in a house fire Thursday has died.
More from the Morning Sun:
A Mt. Pleasant man who was severely burned in a house fire on Thursday has died of his injuries at a Flint hospital.
Friends said Douglas E. Floyd was smoking in his bed when the fire started about 9:45 p.m. Thursday at his home on South Leaton Road, just north of River Road.
A roommate who called for fire and medical assistance told officials that Floyd had been severely burned.
He was taken to Hurley Medical Center in Flint, where he died on Saturday.
Fire and police officials with the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe did not respond to requests left with public relations staff for further details.
Funeral services for Floyd, 52, are 2 p.m. Wednesday at Clark Family Funeral Chapel in Mt. Pleasant, with the Rev. Owen White-Pigeon officiating.
A case involving two leaders of a University of Michigan fraternity will not go to trial as both men plan to enter no-contest pleas for their roles in vandalism left at Treetops Resort.
More from the Petoskey News:
Michael Rola, Otsego County Prosecutor, said he received a call from 87th District Court Judge Patricia A. Morse Tuesday around 8 a.m., alerting him Joshua Kaplan and Zachary Levin, both 20, plan to enter no-contest pleas, avoiding a jury trial, on charges of allowing minors to possess or consume alcohol or controlled substances on the premises.
The misdemeanor charge is punishable by up to 30 days in jail, or a $1,000 fine.
A jury trial was originally set for 9 a.m. Wednesday in 87th District Court before Morse. The attorney representing Kaplan and Levin, John Minock of Cramer, Minock and Sweeney PLC in Ann Arbor, requested a bench trial during a jury status conference Sept. 24, though a request from Rola for a jury trial was subsequently approved.
Such a jury trial on a misdemeanor charge would have been a rare occurrence in Otsego County, Rola said previously, and it appears the inability of Minock and Rola to to reach an agreement was a leading factor to the trial being scheduled.
Kaplan and Levin first appeared in court Aug. 13 for a jury status conference that ended without any kind of an agreement, due partially to a pending lawsuit Treetops filed against the fraternity and others allegedly involved in the vandalism.
The lawsuit was filed May 21 against a list of defendants, including the University of Michigan chapter of the fraternity, Sigma Alpha Mu national, the University of Michigan chapter of sorority Sigma Delta Tau, which had members present during a stay Jan. 16-18 though officials deny involvement, and 40 named and unnamed fraternity and sorority members, demanding a jury trial on all issues.
Following the deadly Paris attacks Friday, at least 24 governors, expressing fears about terrorism, are taking action — through executive order, a request to federal officials or some other means — to prevent Syrian refugees from settling in their states.
More from USA Today:
Their stand in the name of public safety began Sunday and escalated quickly Monday, igniting a debate over whether states even have the power to refuse people based on their nationality.
The governors — in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin — were reacting to Friday’s attacks in Paris and the possibility that refugees seeking resettlement in the USA might include people with terrorist ties.
Twenty-three of the 24 governors are Republican. The lone Democrat is Gov. Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire.
“There may be those who will try to take advantage of the generosity of our country and the ability to move freely within our borders through this federal resettlement program, and we must ensure we are doing all we can to safeguard the security of Americans,” GOP Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin said.
In Louisiana, Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal signed an executive order instructing state agencies to “take all available steps” to stop the relocation of Syrian refugees in his state.
Incoming Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, who is to be inaugurated Dec. 8, said his primary responsibility would be to protect Kentuckians.
Operating with a sense of urgency but few details, Canadian officials said on Tuesday they did not know how many Syrian refugees would arrive or when as part of the prime minister’s plan to bring 25,000 displaced Syrians to Canada by year-end.
More from Reuters:
“I guess we just have to be ready,” said Jennifer Fowler, acting director of multicultural relations for City of Edmonton. She said the five largest municipalities in the western province of Alberta were still waiting for details.
“If we have to handle it, we will. Our service agencies may not have the proper resources, but they definitely have the will to support (the plan),” she added.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, sworn in this month after a landslide victory, has stood firm in his pledge to bring the refugees to Canada, using military transport and housing if necessary, despite criticism from political opponents that his Jan. 1 deadline is too tight to allow for adequate security screening in the wake of the Paris attacks.
The leader of at least one province said this week the plan should be suspended, and another said the deadline was impossible to meet.
But other provincial and municipal leaders as well as resettlement experts said they were gearing up to accept the refugees within weeks although they had no information yet about who was coming or when.
“There are many unknowns at this point including confirmation of resettlement locations, timing and pacing of resettlement, and total numbers of refugees,” said Bryan Leblanc, communications director for Ontario Immigration Minister Michael Chan.
Reminiscent of the fictional microscopic vehicles in the 1966 film “Fantastic Voyage,” chemists have created miniature ‘submarines’ made from just a single molecule.
More from Daily Mail:
Researchers hope the micro-subs could one day make sci-fi dreams a reality by carrying drugs to sites inside our bodies.
Chemists have created a ‘submarine’ made of just one molecule. Composed of 244 atoms, each ‘submarine’ (illustrated) is powered by ultraviolet light and can travel at superfast speeds. With each full revolution, the motor’s tail-like propeller moves the sub forward 18 nanometers around 20 times its own length.
A smartphone battery that lasts longer than a day might be out of reach of most people for the moment, but a large one that charges to 48% in five minutes is on the way.
More from the Guardian:
Huawei’s new fast-charging battery is capable of charging 10 times faster than that of normal lithium ion batteries and uses a new electrode design, according to the company.
The batteries were developed by the Huawei-owned Watt Lab, and were demonstrated at the 56th Battery Symposium in Japan last week.
The new batteries have a catalyst built into the anode that speeds up the conversion of electrical energy from the grid into chemical energy without shortening the battery’s life or reducing the amount of energy it can store.
Two types of batteries were on show. One 3,000 milliampere-hour (mAh) battery that could be charged to 48% in five minutes and a smaller 600mAh battery that hit 68% in two minutes.