This is a quick guide to know what’s expected when tailgating at Central Michigan University, so you don’t find yourself in trouble this Homecoming weekend.
- All drinking and drug laws are enforceable in the tailgating area.
- The CMU Police Department decides the tailgating area. If you go beyond that area with an open container of alcohol, you can be cited for open intoxicants.
- You will not be cited for open intoxicants if you are within the tailgate area.
- Do not start drinking until you get in the tailgating area.
- You can start tailgating at CMU three hours before the game.
- You cannot tailgate during, at half-time or after the game at CMU.
- You are not allowed to have a keg.
- You are not allowed to have glass containers.
- You can have an external sound system.
If you have more questions, you can look at the tailgating policy online or contact the CMU Police Department.
Check out our other “Know Your Rights” posts. You can also view our crime data page, which we update every Tuesday about crimes on campus and in Mount Pleasant.
Arielle Hines is the editor of CMU Insider. You can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is not intended to serve as official legal advice. Please contact an attorney if you need legal assistance.